Saturday, March 10, 2018

Can a Leopard Change It’s Spots?

Can a Leopard Change It’s Spots?  by  Mark Adams

When we hear somebody use the term, “a leopard can’t change its spots”, they are usually referring to a person who by nature is unquestionable.

The person they are referring too maybe:
·       A compulsive liar
·       A thief
  • ·       An habitual adulterer of womanizer
  • ·       Foul-mouthed or unable to hold their tongue
  • ·       Full of all kinds of jealousy
  • ·       Full of selfish ambitions
  • ·       Envious of others and what they have
  • ·       A drunkard
  • ·       Etc.

The common view is that they are these things by nature and unable to change their ways.
From an earthly viewpoint, this saying is correct.  A person may try to change his or her character, but sooner or later they will go back to the way they were.
The angry person can take anger management classes; an alcoholic may join Alcoholics Anonymous with some success. Modern psychology may help some for a time, but the chances of success may not be great.
The Bible says that the real problem is as a result of man’s sin, and he or she is unable to change themselves.  Therefore a leopard cannot change its spots!

From God’s Point of View

What is sin?

Sin is the failure to measure up to the ethical, moral, and ritual standard laid down by God in his revealed law.  It is rebellion against the laws of God.
God has decreed that all sin is punishable by death, both physically (for we all die), and spiritual death.  The list above reveals fruits or proofs of spiritual death.  This spiritual death is also separation from God.
As a man’s natural spirit is now dead to God, he therefore is unable to change his character.

What is the Answer?

The Bible says that God created the heavens and the earth and all things in them.  As our sovereign creator, it is only God who can change the leopard’s spots.
To change our spirit from the state of deadness to life, takes an act of God through His Holy Spirit.  We cannot do it ourselves!
This process is known as regeneration.  The Holy Spirit breathes life into our spirit, and creates a new man, a spiritual man or woman.

My Story

Let me say from the beginning, that each person’s experience of regeneration is different.  In my experience, the Holy Spirit began to open up my eyes and thoughts to spiritual things, early in my teenage life.
I began to question the things that I was doing, and the philosophies going around in the 60’s.  It was the era of the flower power, the Beatles and rebellion from authority!
Eventually the Holy Spirit began to convict me of my sin and my need of help.  That help came when He showed me that I needed forgiveness from God, and that His Son Jesus Christ had come to earth to reveal to man just what God was really like.  He showed me that because of my sin, He came to die in my place two thousand years ago.
God’s Holy Spirit enabled me to believe in Christ for my salvation! 
Because of this belief, the bible says that God’s Holy Spirit would live in me, to transform my life and make me a new person.
When I look back to this experience, what I was then, and who I am now, (although not perfect) I can see the Holy Spirit’s work in my regeneration.

 Conclusion

If you are not a Christian, and have been wondering recently about things of the spirit, it may be the Holy Spirit opening up your eyes and heart.  You may not be a believer in God; maybe you have listened to the things that science teaches, but now you doubt those things.
Get by yourself, and quietly ask God to reveal Himself to you.  Below are some verses from the Bible to help you.

“For the Son of Man (Jesus), did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.”
Luke 9:56.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” John 3:16.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.  Romans 8:1-2.

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit because the carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.  Romans 8:5-6.

For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.  For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.               Romans 8: 13 – 14.

“That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.”  Romans 10:9.

All bible verses are taken from the New King James version.

No comments:

Post a Comment